Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Blue Ridge Breakaway or Bust

I have not done a organized bicycle ride since 2007 and only three since 2005. It was in December of 2005 that I had a accident that left me handicapped. Although I  kept on riding after I was able to get on a bike again I was so slow that I usually ended up one  the last people to finish the rides so in 2007 I stop trying to do long distance bicycle rides. For about the first three years after my injury I could not even get on the bicycle without help. Once on it I had to stay on it until I finish riding as I needed help getting off it.

Here it is 2012 and I am now schedule to do my first organized bike ride since 2007. I have gradually got a little better at riding and better at hill climbing on a bike. I will need to climb hills a lot better than I was even back before my injury. I hope I am able to do this ride finish closer to the front of the cyclist like I used to be able to do.  The hills is still my concern. If they are long and steep I may not do all that well but I will find out the hard way.


Old Red
My trusty Road Bicycle

In signing up for this ride I had to decide on which route that I would take. Having not done a lot of cycling in  the mountains I decided to be cautious and selected the shorter route but once I get there and see the roads I may elect to do a longer ride. The mileage does not bother me so much it just how long and steep the hill climbing will be. Now all I need to do is  to figure what bicycle I a going to use while doing the Bicycle tour in the mountains.

These is the two routes that I am considering and I have to chose which one to do.. Both are not long rides but as I said I am being cautious. If I do well in then maybe I can start doing longer distance bike ride. The description of the routes are below.


Panther - A gorgeous ride through Panther Creek, Fines Creek and over Hyder Mountain. Riders will enjoy miles of river views and farmlands. Intermediate 40 mile Ride.
Rabbit Don't let the name fool you; this is not a warm and fuzzy beginner level ride. An intermediate level ride with several challenging mountain climbs. The Rabbit rolls through the farm lands of Jonathan Creek and Crabtree. The ride is marked by two moderate hill climbs over Coleman and Hyder Mountain before finishing with a scenic tour around Lake Junaluska.

Added: August14th 2012
The time is getting close now. Temperatures is expected to be around 54/55 degrees at the start  time 7:30AM. Thunder storms are forecast but hope I that I will have completed my ride before it starts. Due to the fact The sponsors will not let me changed the route from the one I signed up for so  I will be doing the Rabbit Route.  I  ought to be excited about doing my first organized bicycle ride but I am  not.

OH YES the bicycle ride is being held on August the 18th and will start at Lake Junaluska North Carolina and finish there.

No comments: