Tuesday, June 26, 2012

 The Cape Hattera Lighthouse as it is seen today in its new location. It was moved some years ago to keep it away from the ocean. like what happen to the Morris Island Lighthouse in Charleston.


 This is a picture I took of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse back in the late 1960s. There has been some dramatic changes in the beach since that time.
 The Lighthouse at Ocracoke NC 
 I added the above picture to show what the Lighthouse in Geogetown SC looks like as compared to the Ocracoke Lighthouse, they are very similar.
 A beautiful snarled Cedar tree near the Light House at Ocracoke. NC
 The above picture is were the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was first built. The orginal Light that was in it was removed during the Civil War to prevent the Union from using them to navigate when they travel the coast. The South was not about to help the Union Sailors any.
Another view of the Ocracoke Light house as seen today.              


This is a picture I took of the Morris Island Lighthouse back in the late 80s or early 90s.  You can see that the ocean has washed away all of the land from around the Lighthouse and it appears to be just sitting out into the ocean which it was. The lighthouse had a slight tilt to it at the time.

A few years ago perservation effort made has now stablized the Lighthouse so it would not fall into the ocean. Last time I saw it some sandy shoals has buit up around the lighhouse and at low tide it was out of the water. 

 When this picture was taken there was about 10 to 15 feet of water around it at low tide. My sailboat drew about 7 feet of water and I anchor my boat near the lighthouse and row my little dingy over to it. I then climb the stairs all the way to the top. I don't think it legal to do that anymore and is probably lock so no one can. 

I hope that when further perservation efforts are made eventually it may be open up so that it would be again possible to climb to the top. The view is magnifcent.



No comments: