Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Summer

What a summer I have had. I can’t believe that I have been in Lancaster for just about the whole summer. I only went back to Charleston two or three times for a few days each. But we are not quite ready yet to move to Lancaster full time and so I must go back to Charleston once again today but it will be only for a very short time.

I manage to make about 20 new turnings this summer which is more than I expected to get done. That is pretty good when I consider that some of them were new techniques I never done before.


I wasn't sure how my leg would hold up standing at the wood lathe but it did not bother me that bad. I sometimes had to quit to rest but otherwise I had few problems. For those who reads my blog and don’t know I severely injured my leg almost four years ago and this nearly ended my woodturning career. I really never though I would be able to turn wood again which I was not able to do for about three years.

I had hope that on my stay at our new home this time I would have had a date set to do a show of my woodturning. This has not happen and I done all I know to do and I still have not heard a thing about this from the folks at the art center. I had hoped to know something by now. Most of the work I was planning on saveing for doing a show in Lancaster I am now placing them instead in Walterboro Artisan Center this weekend. Sales have been very good there and my stock is low.

Although I do quite well with my woodturning in the Charleston area I am not known in the Lancaster area and I want to do something about that. My hopes to do a show in Lancaster as I had been planning has not panned out so far and I will have to find other ways to building my reputation up in my hometown of Lancaster which I should do anyway. This has been really a let down for me as I really wanted to do a show in my hometown but I will find other avenues to promote my arts.


Well I have to get the house of clean up and my shop as well so I don’t leave a dirty mess behind. I will post a picture of my latest OT turning when I get it finish hopefully sometime next week.

My daughter is trying her hand at woodturning. I am just standing by and letting her go at it. I gotta give her some lessons.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can I make a comment to my own blog? Nice work Doug